Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ever Have One of Those Weeks?


This week has been quite hectic! I have a kindergartner who has suddenly developed a serious case of separation anxiety. His first week he was fine, then it all fell apart! I made the mistake of telling him that we went on errands while he was at school. He dropped to the ground at the end of the driveway and howled for like 20 minutes. The neighbor two doors down heard him and came to see what had happened, thinking he was injured or something! Then the next day the girls had their first day of ECFE where he also had ECFE and preschool. That didn't go over so well either. Ever since, when I walk him across the street to school and he gets in his line to wait to go inside, he hangs on my leg and whines and cries and won't let me go. I talked to the teacher who told me that it is very normal, especially for boys, that the second week they start this behavior. All of a sudden they realize, "oh, this is every day" and "what am I missing out on when I'm not home." Then I had to leave for the evening last Friday and we had all the windows open, he again howled and screamed out the window for me. Again, the neighbor two doors down and the next door neighbor came over to see what was going on. Well yesterday, both neighbors came over with their kids to get Parker to walk to school with them, hoping to "break" him of some of this. He was promised that if he got through Friday without screaming and what not, he'd get a treat. He hasn't liked it, but he's done it. Whew! I know it's normal and it will change, but it's so emotional and hard to leave your child when they are screaming and crying for you like that. Then the girls have been whiny and clingy because it's the third week of me babysitting at 18-month old and they aren't liking it either. They don't want my attention on him, and... he's been a biter this week! He bit Paige twice yesterday, very hard, she screamed for about 20 minutes. It's been utter chaos and craziness, on top of an already full-blown PMS week. I have not been handling it as well as I would otherwise! So I thought up this card last night as I got everyone to bed and thought what a witch I've been all week. Can you relate?! P.S. And this scene is really me! Paige always wants to be held, 24/7, Mackenzie won't cuddle and will only hold my hand, and Parker has literally been hanging on my leg!! And I drive the soccer mom van! Have a great day!

4 comments:

LeAnne said...

I Love this card and I totally sympathize with your reason for making it. As a former kindergarten teacher I can tell you that it will pass.

Here are some ideas I used to give my parents.

1. The kissing Hand - A great book with a cute idea to soothe the anxiety.
2. Leave an errand or two that you "wait for him" to do. That will help him feel less like he is missing out.
3. Have him go with the neighbors whenever possible. It is easier for him to leave you that for you to leave him.

HTH...it will get better I promise. Bella Hugs

Anonymous said...

I totally loved your story even though I felt your pain. My boys are both grown and I'm the one that cried when they went to school--not them. Your card was perfectly suited for your day LOL! Just want to point out that if you visit my blog at www.cheribella.wordpress.com you can use this card to enter for my blog candy. The candy offer closes Midnight Saturday and the winner will be announced on Sunday the 28th. So why not give it a try? Scroll down a bit because I think it was posted on the 21st and I don't know how to keep things at the top. Good luck, Cheri

Shannon Roberts said...

Yes boy can I!! So days I cry for Calgon!!!!!!!! (wait is that stuff even still around, lol!) Cute cute card!!!I soooo need that saying!

Sarah Elliott said...

Very cute and creative. I love the way it looks.